Thursday, February 10, 2011

Counting My Blessings...Taking Time

Last night my kids informed me that they did not have school today and tomorrow due to Teacher's Convention, I know...I should have been paying more attention to dates; but I wasn't. Thankfully they are old enough to be on their own during the day and I did not have to seek child care.

I did not want to get out of bed this morning when it came time to get up and get ready for work. As I did my hair I thought to myself that I just could not do another day this week. I wanted to be home with my kids tomorrow. I wanted to take the time. I wanted to hang out with them. I know how quickly time passes, my "baby" is thirteen, my oldest is twenty-two next month...there will be plenty of days to work, but how much more time will I have to just kick it with my kids?

It's funny, when they were younger I took so much for granted, I didn't think I would ever forget a thing... I did not think that time would go so fast. Little did I know that I would seemingly blink and have an adult son living on his own and two daughters growing up too fast. How easily I can close my eyes and remember the day each of them was brought home, and now they are each spreading their wings, one flying solo, one ready to leave the nest and one testing her wings. I don't want to blink again.

I went to look in on the girls before leaving for work, gazing down at my two angels I realized that time was drawing short and soon they would not be near enough for me to look upon them while they slept. My decision was made.

I went to work and filled out a days off request form. I am taking a vacation day for tomorrow. I am taking the time. I am going to hang with my girls. I am looking forward to a day of pajamas, popcorn, silliness, coloring, movies and much more. It is going to be great!

I have not taken a mental health day, and really it's not a vacation day... it shall be known as my Counting My Blessings day.

How do you count your blessings? What are you doing to make the most of your time?

1 comment:

Rebecca Foster said...

What a wonderful idea. I am sure your girls are thrilled, too.

When I meditate, I go through my blessings. It really helps me remember all I have to be thankful for.